Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Email | RSS
Turkey, Pear, and Apple Salad
Ready to be a hero in the kitchen?
Start by stepping out of the green salad rut with a combination of mouthwatering foods you may not have considered before: turkey, apple, pears, and cranberries.
Flex That Protein Superpower with Turkey
Ideally you’ll want to use turkey leftovers for this salad. My saying is cook once, eat twice. Even better if your turkey is smoked.
No turkey on hand?
Don’t despair. You can always use chicken. Both turkey and chicken are sources of complete proteins, meaning contain all nine essential amino acids.
You’ll be flexing your protein superpowers with turkey because it only takes 3 1/2 ounces provides as much as 29 grams of protein.
Add Crunch and Surprising Sweetness with Apples and Pears
Adding a bit of sweetness and texture to a salad can take it from boring to super in a snap.
This recipe adds the subtle flavor and texture differences of both apples and pears.
While you can choose to go with one or the other depending on what you like best and what’s in season.
Try it at least once with both to get the full effect of the differences between a crisp apple and a soft and juicy pear.
Oh, and here’s where this super salad can take on a personality of its own. There are 10 principal varieties of pears grown in the US and more than 100 varieties of apple.
Have fun with these ingredients. Select the pear and apple varieties you like best and hang onto your taste buds.
Step Out of the Ordinary with Cranberries
Ready for more?
You’ll also be exiting the salad dressing rut with this recipe.
Get ready for the tart taste of cranberry in this salad.
Cranberries are native to bogs and swamps, which is curious thing for a fruit that packs such a bright and tart punch of flavor and healthy phytonutrients.
They’re like a little bite of sunshine with a twang.
You and your taste buds will be delighted that you’ve decided to step out of the green salad rut with this fun combination of flavors and textures that will make you a super hero in your own kitchen.
Turkey, Pear, and Apple Salad
- Prep Time: 0 hours
- Cook Time: 0 hours
- Total Time: 0 hours
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Fruit, Recipes, Salad, Week Night Meals
Step out of the everyday mundane salad with this delightful turkey, apple, and pear salad. It’s a delicious way to use leftover turkey or chicken.
- 2 1/2 cups diced turkey
- 1 apple, cubed
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 pear, small dice
- 1 cup celery, small dice
- 1 jalapeño, small dice
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1–3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- kosher salt to taste
- Toasted pecans
- Pomegranate seeds
- Process the turkey, apple, and cranberries separately in a food processor with 2-3 pulses each. After processing each place into a large bowl.
- Add the chopped pear, celery, jalapeño, grated ginger, cayenne, and lime juice to the turkey, apple, and pear mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Add just enough mayonnaise for the salad to hold together, or add as much as makes you happy. 🙂
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with kosher salt.
- Garnish with the toasted pecans and pomegranate seeds.
1. Make this salad as spicy as you like by increasing or decreasing the cayenne, jalapeño, and fresh ginger. Fresh ginger will also make it perfumey so go lightly. And as always, taste as you go.
2. If you don’t have fresh cranberries, stir in fresh cranberry sauce. Adjust the mayonnaise as needed for the consistency and taste that makes your tastebuds dance.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 29.5 g
- Sodium: 143.7 mg
- Fat: 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 0.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0.6 mg