What’s a quick-cooking seed that we eat like a grain and is considered a “super food”?
What is Quinoa?
Quinoa is prounced nothing like it looks when written – Q-U-I-N-O-A.
Although the culinary world treats quinoa like a grain, it’s actually a seed that hails from South America where it has a revered history with the Incas.
Long before we understood the science behing this tiny seed, the Inca’s considered quinoa the “mother of all grains”.
So true as this little seed packs a punch of protein and fiber clocking in at 8 grams and 5 grams respectively in 1 cup.
Quinoa is the star of this recipe: Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad and the Mediterranean Style of Eating
The Mediterranean diet has long been touted as one of the healthiest in the world, and for good reason.
Filled with fresh vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and healthy fats, this way of eating promotes heart health, weight management, and longevity.
What’s not to like.
One staple of the Mediterranean diet that has gained popularity in recent years is quinoa.
It’s the perfect way to add plant-based protein to your diet because quinoa is a perfect protein.
This means that this quinoa salad provides all 9 of the essential amino acids that our bodies don’t produce.
If you haven’t already fallen in love with quinoa for its health benefits, maybe this will help.
Versatility of Quinoa
Quinoa is a versatile pantry ingredient.
It can be used in a variety of dishes, from breakfast bowls to salads to casseroles.
It can be cooked in water or broth, and can be seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices to give it different flavors.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon
Try quinoa in my Mediterranean Quinoa Salad.
You’ll be swept away with the flavors of the Mediterranean, including oregano, red wine vinegar, garlic, grape tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions, and parsley.
Top it with pan-seared salmon.
You can also dip your toe into the world of quinoa with my Sweet Potato, Quinoa, and Feta Cheese bowl.
Both of these recipes featuring quinoa, the superfood and quick-cooking seed with a long history, will make you feel like you’re relaxing seaside on the Mediterranean.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings 1x
You’ll feel like you’re relaxing seaside with this Mediterranean Quinoa Salad. It’s super delicious and super easy even on a weeknight.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 green onions, bias sliced
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Add the chopped vegetables to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl with the vegetables after the quinoa has cooled to room temperature. (Tip: Spread the cooked quinoa onto a sheet tray in a single layer to facilitate faster cooling.)
- Combine the red wine vinegar, oregano, and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the olive oil into the red wine vinegar mixture.
- Taste the dressing and season with kosher salt as needed.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the parsley and stir to distribute throughout the salad.
- Taste the salad and season with kosher salt as needed.
- Zest the lemon over the top of the salad.
- Cut the lemon in half and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the top of the salad/pan-seared salmon for an additional pop of flavor.
- And any vegetables you like to this salad.
- Pan-sear the protein of your choice to top this delicious salad.
Keywords: quinoa salad