A Refreshing Twist on Kale Salad: Creamy Yogurt and Lemon Dressing
Kale, the quintessential superfood, has been a staple in health-conscious kitchens for years. But let’s face it, kale can be a bit… well, kale-ish.
Kale often gets a bad rap for its bitter taste and kale leaves can be a bit tough because they are full of fiber.
However, this green giant is a powerhouse of nutrients. Packed with vitamins A, K, C, and loads of minerals like calcium and iron, it’s like nature’s multivitamin.
The challenge has always been to make it as delicious as it is nutritious.
But here’s a game-changer that transforms this nutrient-packed green into a delightful culinary experience: a kale salad that is a celebration of flavors and textures made with a creamy yogurt and lemon dressing.
This salad is going to make a kale believer out of you.
The Dressing: A Delightful Elixir
Enter the hero of our story: a creamy yogurt and lemon dressing.
This dressing is not just a condiment; it’s the magical elixir that brings this dish to life.
The yogurt, lemon and white wine vinegar adds acid which will help break down the tough kale fibers and together with the creaminess of the yogurt adds a luxurious texture that makes this salad feel more indulgent.
Kale Salad: A Masterclass in Texture
Texture is a critical element of any great salad, and this kale salad is a masterclass in contrasts.
Add to this base salad some cubed sweet potato, red onion, grated ginger, dried cranberries, and pistachios, and you’ve got a symphony of textures that keeps every bite interesting.
For a protein boost, top this salad with grilled chicken, broiled fish, or pan-seared steak.
One of the fun aspects of this salad is the variety of kale available. Curly kale, dinosaur kale, or red Russian kale, each brings its unique texture and taste. Mixing different types can make the salad even more visually appealing and delicious.
Health on a Plate
Besides being a flavor fiesta, this salad is a health enthusiast’s dream.
Kale’s fiber content supports digestion, while its antioxidants offer anti-inflammatory and other health benefits.
The yogurt in the dressing brings probiotics and calcium into the mix, making this salad a well-rounded meal.
Whether you’re a kale skeptic or a seasoned fan, this salad is bound to surprise and delight you.
So, grab your kale and whisk, and let’s make kale salad history.
Learn how to create your own salad masterpieces with my Finally, Interesting Salads Cooking Class.
Put more green in your life this delicious kale salad. Dress it with a bright, lemon and yogurt dressing that will make your tastebuds dance.
- 10 cups of kale, ribs removed, leaves torn
- 1–16 oz sweet potato, small dice (about 3 cups)
- 4 tablespoons shallot (or red onion), julienne
- 4 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons pistachios, lightly chopped
- 1 cup whole milk, plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- kosher salt
Bake The Sweet Potato
- Preheat your oven to 350˚F.
- Lay the cubed sweet potatoes on a sheet tray in a single layer and bake in oven until they are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
Make the Dressing
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl until creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed with kosher salt.
Assemble the Salad
- Place 2-21/2 cups of kale on each plate.
- Divide the sweet potato evenly between each plate and place on top of the kale.
- Top the kale with 1 tablespoon each of the shallot, grated ginger, dried cranberries, and pistachios.
- Drizzle the salad with the creamy yogurt and lemon dressing.
- An alternate preparation is to toss the kale with the salad dressing first, then assemble as per the instructions above.