Strawberry and Amaretto Crumble with Lavender Whipped Cream
Strawberry and amaretto crumble with lavender whipped cream.
When it comes to desserts in the summer, light and fresh, with in-season fruit is the way to go.
But what about herbs? How about a just-bloomed herb, like lavender?
Delight Your Taste Buds With Lavender
Lavender is a perennial that can be used as an herb and is a member of the mint family.
Well now is the peak blooming season and you should know that you can do more with lavender than just smell it or wear it.
Not only does lavender have a calming effect on our bodies, it can also be a wonderful addition to a meal.
The most common variety of lavender for cooking is English. It can be added to just about anything, sweet or savory including pasta, salads, salad dressings, jellies, and all sorts of desserts. History tells us that lavender was introduced to England in the 1600s and that Queen Elizabeth I was a big fan of lavender jelly.
Cooking With Lavender
When you cook with lavender, be sure that you are buying culinary lavender, and use it sparingly. The flavor of lavender will increase in intensity.
Two typical ways that lavender is incorporated into foods is either by grinding it or infusing it.
Dip your toe into the marvelous taste of culinary lavender with this strawberry and amaretto crumble with lavender whipped cream dessert. Both the lavender and strawberry is in season. It doesn’t get any fresher than that!
Strawberries are sliced, mounded into individual serving dishes, topped with a crumble mixture of oats, brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon. The lavender is ground with white sugar which is then used along with vanilla to flavor the whipped cream for this elegant, yet simple and beautiful dessert.
You’ll want to make this one several times while fresh strawberries are in the store. The lavender whipped cream is addicting and would be a tasty addition to just about any fresh summer fruit you have on hand.Print
Dip your toe into the marvelous taste of culinary lavender with this strawberry and amaretto crumble with lavender whipped cream dessert. It’s a beautiful melding of flavors, strawberries, cinnamon, amaretto, topped with the luscious whipped cream.
- 1 lb Strawberies, hulled and sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/8 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons Amaretto, divided
Lavender Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lavender sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Divide sliced strawberries between 4 oven-proof ramekins.
- Drizzle each Ramekin filled with strawberries with 1/2 teaspoon of Amaretto.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat once melted.
- Add the oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir together until well mixed.
- Top each ramekin with the oatmeal mixutre.
- Drizzle each ramekin topped with the oatmeal mixture with 1/2 teaspoon of Amaretto.
- Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- To serve, top each ramekin with a dollop of lavender whipped cream.
Lavender Whipped Cream
- In a chilled mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, lavender sugar, white sugar, and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Place sugar and lavender in a food processor or blender. Blend until you see tiny flecks of lavender distributed throughout the sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 614
- Sugar: 89.4 g
- Sodium: 328.6 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 11.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 108.8 g
- Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
- Cholesterol: 53 mg