“I live on good soup, not on fine words.”
Those are words of wisdom from the 17th Century French playwright, actor, and poet, Moliére.
But he’s a thoroughly modern man and incredible visionary when it comes to soup.
One of the easiest weeknight meals to make is soup, but our culture seems a bit disinclined towards this almost ancient way feeding ourselves.
“Soup?” our culture says, “I need something hardier than water with vegetables after a long day.”
Well you’ve got it with Butternut Squash Soup.
Satisfaction in a Bowl
Not only is butternut squash soup beautiful, warm, filling, and vibrantly orange, this delicious soup is gluten-free.
And it’s dairy-free. Meaning that the vegans amongst us are going to love it.
But don’t say that to anyone who might think that last characteristic makes it instantly flavorless.
Nope meat-eaters and vegans alike will love butternut squash soup.
It has a gorgeous flavor and is packed with vegetables.
And, all those vegetables contribute to the sturdy texture of this soup.
No Better Way to Eat Your Veggies Than in Butternut Squash Soup
That’s right: NO thickeners other than veggies, mostly carrots and cauliflower, in this butternut squash soup.
With the addition of a bit of olive oil and some coconut milk the result is a rich, creamy, decadent soup without a hint of lingering grease in your bowl.
Assemble this soup and let it simmer. While it comes together on the stovetop, make yourself a side salad with the rest of the veggies from the produce drawer in your refrigerator.
There’s no time like the present to use those lovelies up.
You Can Dine on Good Soup and Fine Words
Butternut squash soup is truly an indulgence of the very best type.
One that your body, soul, and spirit can enjoy any night of the week as you gather at the table accompanied by great conversation.
With this combo, unlike Molière you can say that you dine on good soup and good words.
Interested in learning more about making soup? Check out our soup-making class.
This delicious Butternut Squash Soup is 100% veggies and 100% delicious. Completely gluten and dairy free, super easy to make, and garnished with roasted peanuts and cilantro this recipe is keeper.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, rough chopped
- 2 large carrots, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 pound cauliflower, chopped
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and rough chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Roasted peanuts and cilantro for garnish
- Kosher salt to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and carrots. Sauté until they begin to soften and the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the the butternut squash, cauliflower, and just enough of the stock to cover the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are very fork tender and falling apart.
- Stir in the cumin and paprika.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow the soup to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a traditional blender or emersion blender puree the soup.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Additional broth as needed to thin the soup to your liking, if needed.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Re-warm if needed before serving.
- Serve with chopped roasted peanuts and chopped cilantro.