What could possibly be better than a french fry?
Roasted zucchini fries.
Expand your culinary repertoire, captivate your tastebuds, and do your health a favor by substituting zucchini fries for traditional French fries.
How is it that you captivate your tastebuds with roasted lengths of zucchini?
The Delightful and Flavorful Roasted Zucchini Fries
It’s a simple answer!
The magic of this roasted zucchini fries recipe lies in the harmonious and simple blend of ingredients: fresh garlic, oregano, parmesan, with a kick of spice from red pepper flakes.
It’s a tastebud-tingling kick.
Do your French fries deliver that delightful flavor?
Didn’t think so.
Roasted Zucchini Fries are a Guilt-Free Indulgence
Naturally low in calories and high in essential nutrients, zucchini is a nutritional powerhouse.
Packed with vitamins A, C, and K, as well as potassium, magnesium, and dietary fiber, zucchini supports your immune system, reduces inflammation, and aids digestion.
One cup of zucchini is 90% water which will help keep you hydrated while zucchini’s antioxidants protect your body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
Choosing zucchini fries over traditional fries allows you to indulge guilt-free, knowing you’re making a healthy and certainly more flavorful choice.
Why You Should Try Roasted Zucchini Fries
Zucchini is a versatile and fascinating vegetable.
It’s native to Mesoamerica and was introduced to Europe where it was further cultivated.
In the world of cookery, we treat it like a vegetable, but it’s actually a type of berry called a “pepo” because the fruit forms from a single blossom. Pepo berries are fleshy, many-seeded fruits with a firm rind. Other pepo berries you may be familiar with include cucumbers and melons.
If you grow, zucchini blossoms don’t toss those blossoms as they are edible and can be stuffed, fried, or used as a garnish.
You may see this beautiful, cylindrical and green fruit in the grocery store and wonder what to do with it.
Now you know.
Next time you think French fries would be a great side dish for whatever your cooking, think about the beautiful, fruit, vegetable, berry also known as zucchini and give these roasted zucchini fries a try.
Love fries? You’re going to love these oven-roasted, super tasty zucchini fries even more. It’s a simple preparation with a big flavor payoff. What could be better?
- 2 zucchini, about 8 oz each
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan + additional for garnish
- red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- Heat oven to 450˚ F.
- Combine the minced garlic, oregano, and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Quarter the zucchini lengthwise.
- Position the lengths of zucchini on a sheet tray, close together.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Lightly season with kosher salt.
- Add a light sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Top the zucchini with the garlic, oregano, and parmesan cheese mixture.
- Roast the prepped zucchini in the oven for 15 minutes. Check for tenderness. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes if the zucchini is not tender. Repeat just until zucchini is tender.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven; add the additional parmesan on top.
- Place the zucchini under the broiler just until the parmesan garnish browns, about a minute.
- Go light on the salt and red pepper flakes. The flesh of the zucchini is not very dense. A little goes a long way.
Keywords: roasted zucchini fries