Glam up simple white rice with a bit of onion, garlic, and a bay leaf for a flavor that will make your tastebuds sing. Add a splash of color with your vegetable (or vegetables!) of choice – bell pepper, carrot, asparagus, etc.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the saucepan is warmed, but not completely hot, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom.
- Add the butter and chopped onion.
- Saute the onion over medium heat just until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute or two until fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the oil mixture in the saucepan.
- Add the bell pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the water and stir once more. Cover the saucepan.
- Simmer for 15-18 minutes until all the water has been absorbed.
- Allow rice to stand for several minutes to absorb remaining moisture in the saucepan.
- Fluff and serve.