Cuban in origin, vaca frita is delicious and super easy especially when you repurpose leftover chuck roast. Give this one a try!
- 12 ounces cooked, shredded chuck roast
- 1 cup sliced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- fresh or dried oregano
- red pepper flakes
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Combine the shredded chuck roast with the bell pepper, onion, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Marinate beef mixture for 15 minutes to an hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Add small batches of the beef mixture to the skillet; season with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper to match your taste preference.
- As each batch is crisped to your liking, remove from the skillet to a sheet tray until all the beef is crisped.
- Serve over rice with lime wedges.
- Garnish with oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Black beans are also a good choice as a side for this dish.
Keywords: vaca frita