This is a flavorful, easy, fast, and delicious weeknight meal. Or portion it into appetizer bites and serve it on a crostini with the wasabi sauce for a party. Either way, garnish it with fresh, chopped rosemary.
- 1 1/2 lb. flank steak
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- kosher salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients.
- Place the flank steak in a gallon-sized resealable bag.
- Add the marinade to the bag; seal the bag removing as much of the air as possible.
- Using your fingers on the outside of the sealed bag, knead the bag to distribute the marinade evenly around the steak.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour, up to 10 hours.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard the remaining marinade.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron grill pan on high heat. When the pan begins to smoke slightly, brush with oil.
- Add steak to the pan, grill 4-6 minutes per side until just before desired degree of doneness.
- Allow steak to rest 10 minutes.
- Cut across the grain for serving.
- Mix together the wasabi powder with the water.
- Add the mayonnaise and the lemon juice to the powder mixture.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Garnish each plate with a tablespoon of the wasabi sauce and fresh chopped rosemary.
When you remove the steak from the marinade, bit of ginger, garlic, and rosemary will be clinging to the meat. No need to remove these before you cook it.
Remember to season the meat with salt and pepper after you remove it from the marinade and before you grill it.
Use a cast iron skillet or an outdoor grill if you don’t have a grill pan.