Enjoy delicious chunks of chocolate in every bite with this luxurious cookie. This recipe combines the best of what you remember about your grandmother’s semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies, but with a modern twist.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chip cookies
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat your oven to 350˚F.
- Cube butter into 3/4″ cubes.
- Brown the butter on low heat in a small pot. As the butter melts it will begin to bubble and foam; there will be small eruptions on the surface of the butter as the water evaporates. Adjust the heat to maintain a nice sizzle, but not a boil. Once you begin to see a brown ring around the butter in the pot, the butter is browned. You will also see browned milk solids that have fallen to the bottom of the pot. Once the butter is browned add 1 tablespoon of water to the butter and cool it by placing it in an ice bath (described in the next step).
- While the butter melts, prepare an ice bath to cool the butter. You will need a heat proof container for the butter and a bowl filled with ice that will fit into the ice bath without the chance of ice water getting into the butter or the butter tipping over and spilling into the ice bath. Prep the bowl with the ice, but don’t add water. Once the butter has browned, pour the butter into your heat-proof container. Add the water to the ice and place the heat-proof container of butter into the ice bath.
- Remove the butter from the ice bath after it has cooled, about 5-7 minutes. Some of the butter will be congealed on the bottom of the bowl.
- While the butter cools, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Scrape the cooled butter into a mixing bowl.
- Cream the cooled butter with the brown and white sugars, vanilla and espresso powder to the butter for 3-5 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs to the creamed butter mixture; mix until just incorporated.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture in thirds scraping the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure all the flour gets incorporated.
- Stir the semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips into the flour mixture.
- Using your hands, form dough balls about 1″ in diameter.
- Place dough balls on a cookie sheet at least 3″ apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Sprinkle with additional kosher salt (or flaky sea salt) as desired.