Simmer this easily assembled beef and beer stew in the oven, on the stovetop, or in your crockpot. Serve it with crusty bread or cornbread.
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean beef, cut in 2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup flour
- I large onion, thinly sliced half-moon style
- 16 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups baby gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, 2-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can dark beer
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- kosher salt
- olive oil
- parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325˚
- Dredge beef in flour.
- Heat an oven proof Dutch oven over high heat. Once hot add a drizzle of oil, enough to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the flour-dredged beef to the pan and brown. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt as they brown.
- Once browned, remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the onions to the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with a bit of kosher salt.
- Sauté the onion just until it begins to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms.
- Add the brown sugar, bay leaf, 1 teaspoon of salt, beef broth and beer.
- Cover and bake 2 hours or until tender.
- Uncover, stir in the red wine vinegar and the thyme.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with the parsley.
Once the red wine vinegar has been added, taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. It’s possible that you will need a bit more brown sugar to balance the bitterness of the beer depending on the beer that you use.