Homemade granola is a snap with this simple recipe. Enjoy this oat-based granola made with maple syrup for breakfast or as a snack.
- 5 cups oats
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Heat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a small saucepan, heat maple syrup and brown sugar over low heat until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside to cool.
- Mix together the oats and chopped walnuts in a large bowl.
- Once the maple syrup mixture is cool, stir in the vanilla and egg whites.
- Pour the maple syrup mixture over the oats and walnuts.
- Stir until combined.
- Spread the oat mixture onto a sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and stir the mixture.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until toasty, stirring every 5-10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Stir in the dried cranberries.
This is a basic recipe that can be modified to suit your tastebuds. Substitute the cranberries for walnuts with the dried fruit or nut of your choice. You can also add any additional nuts, seeds, etc., to the base recipe.