Take your tastebuds oceanside with a weeknight meal of crab cakes. Make it a family affiar to prep and form the crab cakes together. One bite of these delcious cakes of lumpy crab meat and herbs and you’ll be hooked.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup green onion, minced
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pound Dungeness crab meat
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 2–4 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, egg yolks, and fresh lemon juice in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix in the green onions, dill, tarragon, cilantro, lemon zest, black pepper, crab meat and 1 cup of the panko bread crumbs.
- Line a sheet pan with a silicon mat or waxed paper.
- Place remaining 1 cup of panko bread crumbs onto a separate sheet pan.
- Scoop 2 oz of the crab meat mixture from the bowl and form into a pattie. Press both sides the pattie into the bread crumbs and then place on the lined sheet pan.
- Once all the patties have been formed, chill patties for up to an hour. Chilling helps the patties “set” so that they are easier to handle for pan frying.
- When ready to pan fry, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and add the crab cakes. Allow space between each pattie to facilitate turning the patties so you can fry them on both sides.
- Cook the patties in batches adding more oil and butter as needed. Adjust the heat up or down to facilitate the right amount of heat for a nice brown without cooking too quickly or slowly.
The patties can be formed several days ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Be sure to cover them well.
If you prefer larger patties, use a 4 oz scoop of the meat mixture.
- Serving Size: 1 Crab Cake
- Calories: 425.28 kcal
- Sugar: 1.44 g
- Sodium: 812.96 mg
- Fat: 25.52 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.13 g
- Trans Fat: 0.02 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.23 g
- Fiber: 1.59 g
- Protein: 24.99 g
- Cholesterol: 207.85 mg