Transform cornbread into a fresh-tasting herby dressing that is the perfect accompaniment to roasted, smoked, or BBQ’d meats.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup celery, small dice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 large bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat oven to 375˚ F.
- Beat eggs and stir in buttermilk. Set aside
- Mix together the dry ingredients except the sugar in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet on low heat.
- When the butter is melted stir in the sugar, then stir in the buttermilk mixture followed by the dry ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool and crumble into a large bowl.
- Melt the butter over medium heat,
- Sauté onion, celery, and green onion.
- When the onion mixture is translucent and soft, remove from the heat.
- Stir in the herbs.
- Add the onion and herb mixture to the crumbled cornbread.
- Stir in the stock.
- Taste and season with kosher salt.
- Bake at 375˚ F for 40 minutes or until it browns on top a bit.
- Serves 10-12
Keywords: cornbread dressing